AAA will be hosting Manu-o-Kū (White Tern) training for hands on tree workers. The workshop will be offered on April 6th and on April 8th, 2021, 2:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m., at the Elks Lodge parking lot, 2933 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96815. The cost is $20 for nonmembers and $15 for members. We have requested approval of 1 CEU for those who are certified. Please note – the same information will be provided on both dates, so participants should only attend one session.
The workshop features Tiana Bolson, Wildlife Biologist, Seabird/Offshore Islets Section, from Division of Forestry and Wildlife DLNR. She will be discussing:
- State and Federal regulations protecting these birds
- How to spot breeding sites in a tree
- Best Management Practices for pruning trees with breeding sites
- Participants will practice spotting breeding sites in trees.
The class size is limited to 10 people each session. Everyone will be required to wear masks and social distance during the training. There will be a videographer filming the sessions, so all participants will be required to sign a photo release at registration.
Why should our workers attend this training?
- Violations of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act (Federal) can result in fines of up to $15,000 per incident
- Violations of State of Hawaii law regarding threatened species can result in fines of $250 or more and/or up to 1-year of imprisonment for the violator(s)
- Your company could end up with negative publicity from media coverage if your workers violate regulations (ending up in the newspaper and/or on the evening news)
- Because it’s the right thing to do!
To register, please email Carol Kwan, email@example.com, with your company name, contact info, and a list of your employees who will be attending. Carol will let you know what the total registration fee will be. Payment (cash or check) will be accepted at registration. We will be keeping a wait list, so if you are unable to make it, please let Carol know ASAP so someone else can take your place.
If you haven’t renewed your AAA membership for 2021, this is a good time to do so. You can renew online here.